Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Curious case of GHMC

Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation started doing things which are beyond its scope and function. In a positive way though.

We expect nothing from a Municipal Corporation beyond good roads , working street lights and municipal water on time. GHMC doing more than that.

Last year GHMC started providing lunch for Rs 5 at Nampally Sarai. I  thought its nothing but an election campaign. Then came the Microsoft app " Citizen Next" which makes it easy to lodge complaint to GHMC. I have to tell you, i made few complaints to GHMC in the last couple of years, and they responded.  First the engineer would call to know the exact location of the issue, then after some time the issue will be solved or satisfactory explanation is offered. I did not expect that they would call me, but they did.
 
1. I complained on street dog issue, within a week , a guy called me at 8 AM , asked me to come to the location. The Dog van is already there, they caught dogs, asked me to sign on a paper , they left.

2. Had drive in dark from Putlibowli to Chadarghat. I complained. After two days a guy called me and explained that the street lights on the road are working fine, probably, its because of power cut i had to come in the dark. I checked it in a week time and the lights are working.

3. I made a complaint on pothole at Uppal road. An engineer called me to inform that Inner ring road does not come under the juridiction of GHMC , so can do nothing.

In all these cases, i did not even expect call for a complaint i made online. Of course, there were some structural faults which haunts the system. In the first case, the dog squad told me, they would sterilize dogs and release them on the street, and they will not catch a sterilized dogs again. He skipped the question on how they will identify which dogs were operated and which are not. In the second case, GHMC has no idea when the power cut will be, so there is no team work between power department and GHMC.

Despite them, they are actively working. At the least, trying.

Recently they have launched own-a-cab scheme, where GHMC gets the 85% of the loan for to get a taxi to the beneficiaries. Why would GHMC wants to provide employment? Providing loans is not its function nor providing food economically. A Govt body stepping out of its realm is a good thing? Or as the function of Govt is for the beneficiary of citizens , its doing the right thing? The function of hands to hold tools and work, not walking, but what if when legs stop moving?

 

No comments: