Sunday, August 09, 2015

Quest for a watch

"This is the watch I found for you " said my friend while giving a long dark blue colored box to me. For a second I hoped that my quest for watch is over. When I opened the box , my hopes shattered.

All I want is a ... Ok, I better describe the watch I don't want. I don't want a chronograph , no gold color , no small dial , I don't need date , I don't need tachymeter , no stop watch , no timer , no week number,  no moonphase , no steel belt , no design on the face , no miniature explosives like in a bond movie  and of course not too expensive.

Apparently , the minimalistic watch with non metallic belt is hard to find. I been searching for that kind of watch for years now. Meanwhile ISRO sent a satellite to Mars , Bahubali movie released , Kasab was hanged , Telangana state born , Modi become prime minister and been roaming the world , but I could not find the wrist watch I want.

Does more features means " paisa vasool " ? Even though those features are useless ?  Why would somebody in 21st century , in the age of digital speedometer want to check the speed using tachometer on wrist watch? Who needs date function which needed to be corrected every month? And stop watch ?

The problem with chronographs is , one can't find out time in a glance. One have to stare at it.  I want a big dial watch , with hands and face in contrast colors. I am fed up with metallic straps , and I dont like gold color. The only preference is , round shape and black color. However, such a minimalistic watch is hard to manufacture. Some made it , but made them expensive.

Years ago, a guy told me that , life is simple and we make it complicated. He is right , we can not handle simplicity . Probably that's why its regarded as virtue than a normal trait. Minimalism ; is hard to get and accepted.

I dint mean to object the technological advancement, or having a device for each individual purpose.  New technology must be welcomed , even before Google Maps become global, cell phones got equipped with GPS chip.  A small FM chip in cell phones rebooted the FM radio industry. But, those features dont hinder your phone basic purpose like making and receiving call, however all those chronographs are beating the purpose of wrist watch, I.e show time.

On my quest I learned a good deal about watches. There are people in the world who are passionate about them. They all come together and discuss at www.watchyouseek.com .

Apart from these highly priced minimalistic watches , I could not understand few more things regarding watches. Whats with the obsession with the gold color and why ladies watches have such small dials?

My question is why simple designs are highly priced ? I will search for the watch I want in my budget  for one more year , if I could not find it,  I will  buy a watch get it customised. Silly people, silly world.

If you guys come across a minimalistic black analog watch with leather band with waterproof  in Rs 3k range  , do tell.

No comments: